Excitement building in Marrakech,Morocco, ahead of the formal opening tomorrow of the 15th annual African Securities Exchanges Association conference. The theme is “Africa, alive with opportunities!” and the host is the Casablanca Stock Exchange.
I spent a great afternoon wandering in the Kasbah and the Medina!
Top speakers include Salaheddine Mezouar (Morocco Minister of Economy and Finance), Sunil Benimadhu (of the Stock Exchange of Mauritius and chair of ASEA), Aomar Yodar of the Casablanca SE and Andrew Ross Sorkin guest columnist of the New York Times. Expect speeches from, Karim Hajji of the Casablanca bourse, leaders of African and top speakers from several world securities exchanges. Also there will be finance ministers, bankers, analysts, traders, investors and many more.
Topics on day 1 include
• “The financial crisis: Is there a pilot in the plane?” with Oxford Analytica, and African and UK expertsrom the heart of the crisis
• Capital markets and the developments of BRICS (see previous story on stock exchange link-ups) – hear from CEOs and Executive Directors of key BRICS and Istanbul stock exchanges and Emergent Asset Management and Epoch Fund
• The economic implications of the “Arab Spring” for the continent: Top analysts, strategist and others.
• Casablanca Finance City with the CEO of the Moroccan Financial Board.
• Nursing Africa’s future IPOs: heads of top African stock exchanges Karim Hajji of Casablanca SE, Ekow Afedzie of Ghana SE and Sunil from Mauritius as well as speakers from Morocco and France.
• A new FTSE-ASEA African index.
Day 2 covers
• Regulation for cross-border development, moderated by your author, with top experts from France, Euroclear, Cosumaf and Morocco
• Cost-effective and scalable technology options for emerging markets exchanges – featuring Tony Weeresinghe of the LSE, Sandy Frucher of NASDAQ OMX and maybe Josef Dobrawez of Thomson Reuters.
• What’s hot in Africa today? is the wrap-up with a host of top speakers from politics, consulting, banking, mining, economics and development finance covering energy, infrastructure, mining, industry, agribusiness and others.